This, in turn, is an important step that helps developers ensure that they provide the best end-user experience to their customers. Providing the best end-user experience and stable performance are two of the most important pillars that build a positive image for a brand. Selenium is one of the most well-known names in the test automation segment.
Introducing the Concept of Automated Testing
To have a better idea about the Selenium-based testing architecture, the developers need to understand the core concept of automated testing. This is the process of replacing human involvement in the application development process. Instead, the system will use a text file consisting of all the required parameters and data for the test execution process.
With the help of this data, the system can act like a normal user and interact with the new application undergoing the development process. Based on these interactions, the system will generate a test report showing whether the application is ready to be released into the open world. On the other hand, the developers also have the option to make necessary changes in this file to make the test results customized according to their requirements.
While using automated test scripts, the developers can also store the necessary code and reuse it in further app development projects. However, test automation comes with a significant disadvantage instead of all these advantages. This is because, during the initial stages of this advanced process, the developers have to invest a lot of money to get started with the setup process.
The setup process involves integrating various tools, platforms, and libraries essential for properly implementing automated test benches. These expenses are often unjustifiable considering the revenue of individual developers and small companies. So we recommend such entities analyze their business perspectives and future returns on investment before starting the transition.
Describing the Basic Knowledge of Selenium
As mentioned earlier, Selenium is one of the most dominant names in the world of automated testing practices. Since its initial introduction in 2004, this test automation suite has maintained one of the top positions to date.
Since it is a test suite, it consists of multiple tools that help the developers at different stages of the application development process. We will discuss the individual functions of these tools in the latter part of this article.
Similar to the nature of automated testing, the Selenium test suite also comes with a massive drawback. This is because, while using this suit, the developers can only start and execute the automation test cases on web apps.
So it can massively hamper the development and testing capabilities of modern application companies that work with various apps like cross-platform apps, native apps, and hybrid apps. The best practice in such cases is to have access to multiple test automation frameworks simultaneously. Now let us discuss the individual functions of all the major components present in the Selenium test suite:
- Firstly, we would like to discuss the Selenium WebDriver, as it is an essential part of the entire test suite. With the help of this tool, the developers can not only efficiently conduct the test cases but also address them to the target elements present in the web application. The Selenium WebDriver is often considered a superior version of the Selenium remote controller that was previously present in the test suite. This is because, unlike the remote controller, the web driver can natively communicate with all the elements of a web app and does not require a dedicated engine.
- With the help of the Selenium IDE, the developers can create automation test files with Selenium. It is a unique tool that helps developers create test cases based on real-time interaction. This means that with this tool, the developers have to use the application like a normal user, and the system will continue to generate test cases based on these interactions. Since the test cases are based on real user interaction, they are very accurate in determining the dependability of the application.
- Finally, the Selenium Grid is an essential tool that helps improve the efficiency of the complete application development lifecycle. This is because, with these tools, the developers can initiate and execute the test cases in a parallel format. A parallel testing format helps to initiate different test configurations consisting of multiple devices and dependencies simultaneously. Experts believe that with the proper implementation of parallel testing, the developers can wrap up all their automation test cases within a few days.
- The first step is to introduce the Selenium test suite on the test bench. For this process, we recommend the developers download all the required files from the official website of Selenium.
- After the test case has been created, the developers have to execute it and wait for the system to display the results. It is essential to remember that Selenium helps developers maintain an activity log to detect and trace all the bugs and errors that have been detected. It is an effective process that simplifies the debugging step.
Use of Tools and Platforms for Effective Selenium Testing
Test automation can be complex if conducted on a standalone test bench by new developers in this segment. However, the effective introduction of tools and platforms can go a long way in simplifying this process.
For instance, they can not only introduce additional features but also help the developers create test cases. On the other hand, with specific platforms, like cloud-based platforms, the developers can eliminate the need for an onsite device test bench.
This is because these platforms help developers achieve similar test results and accuracy while implementing all the test cases over the Internet. We can improve our knowledge about the working mechanisms of cloud platforms by adding LambdaTest as a discussion point.
Cross-browser testing is the modern market standard to ensure that customers get the best performance irrespective of their shifts in the operating system, browser version, or device specifications.
This is a platform that helps developers execute efficient cross-browser test cases on a cloud platform. This platform also allows the developers to execute the automation test cases in a parallel format to improve their efficiency by almost 15 times.
Other than executing and debugging Selenium-based test cases, LambdaTest also helps the developers efficiently work with other popular automation frameworks like Cypress and Playwright. The integration of hundreds of real devices with thousands of existing simulation programs helps the developers massively improve the accuracy of the test results.
This platform also helps the developers debug the Selenium-based test cases for web apps that are locally hosted and are meant for the internal operations of a company. LambdaTest also allows the developers to use features like video recording and sequential screenshots to ensure a proper activity log for the application testing process.
So, companies and testers need a good idea about all these practices. In this regard, the developers and testers should also take substantial steps to keep their knowledge updated regarding all the innovations and additions in the test automation segment. The app companies can also hold frequent seminars to keep their automation testers and developers informed about vital automation innovations.
CHECKOUT RELATED CONTENT: