Canada Education System for International Students? Applying to schools in Canada as an international student can be a great option since Canada is one of the countries with an outstanding academic system. In, CA, there are different levels of schools that can receive students in Canada, it is now left for you to choose the right one.

Canada Education System for International Students - Study in Canada Guide for International Students

However, in this write-up, you will be getting info on Primary and secondary schools, post-secondary schools, Private career colleges, Language schools, studying in French, how to apply to a school, and Health Insurance.

CHECK IT OUT: Benson Idahosa University Scholarship Program – How to Apply for the BIU Scholarship Program

Canada Education System for International Students

To get more information about schools and the education system contact; The ministries and departments responsible for education in each province and territory, The Canadian Bureau for International Education or visit Edu Canada for information for international students about education in Canada, with study program search, costs and more.

Canada Education System for International Students? Below is the basic school system in CA. This will help you find the correct school for you or for your loved ones.

Primary and Secondary Schools

Primary/Secondary schools are schools that teach students from grade 1 to grade 12 levels. The Primary/elementary level usually starts from grades 1 to 8 while the secondary/high school usually starts from grades 9 to 12.

Note; All Primary/Elementary and secondary/High schools in Canada can enroll international students. And there are also, publicly and privately funded primary and secondary schools.

Post-Secondary Schools (Universities, Colleges, Vocational Schools, CEGEPs)

Post-secondary schools are Colleges, Universities, Private career colleges, vocational and technical schools. All post-secondary school has its own set of rules on how to apply, plus the level of English or French you need to be accepted.

However, if you apply for a study permit and your letter of acceptance is from an institution that is not a designated institution for foreign students, your application will be refused. And provincial governments may regulate private schools differently for different study programs.

Ensure the private school you apply to is included on the designated learning institution (DLI) list.

Language Schools

There are lots of schools in CA that teach English or French as a second language. Provincial governments regulate language programs at public institutions, and most provincial governments do not regulate language programs at private schools. For more info about private language programs, contact Languages CA.

Studying In French

French-language education in CA has info on schools and institutions that offer courses in French. The Association des universités de la Francophonie Canadienne has info on university programs in French, English, or both.

Designated Learning Institutions

Provinces and territories approve schools that can enroll foreign students. These schools are known as designated learning institutions (DLI). So, if you need a study permit, your acceptance letter must be from a DLI. All primary and secondary schools in Canada are DLIs.

How to Apply to a School in Canada

Each school has its own rules on how to apply. Just make sure you apply at least 6 months in advance if you want to study at a primary or secondary school. For a post-secondary program- apply 1 year in advance for a post-secondary.

You can contact the school where you want to study to learn how to apply. They’ll give you the list of all the documents you need to send to them. They’ll also be able to tell you about the cost to apply, Tuition fees, Health insurance, Rent, and how much it costs to live in Canada.

Language Tests

Fill in the application forms for the school you want to enroll. Then, follow the onscreen instructions to submit them. If the school admits you as a student, they will send you an acceptance letter. You need this letter to apply for a study permit.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here