DAAD/AERC CMAAE Ph.D. Fellowship Program 2021/2022 applications are open for all to apply. Females, candidates from less privileged regions or groups as well as candidates with disabilities are especially encouraged to apply.
DAAD, a public-funded, self-governing organization of the institutions of higher education in Germany, promotes international academic exchange as well as educational co-operation with developing countries through a variety of funding and scholarship programs.
Recommended for You >>> New Europe College Fellowship Program 2021/2022
The Collaborative Master of Science in Agricultural and Applied Economics (CMAAE) program of the African Economic Research Consortium (AERC) is run in a network of 17 participating universities in 13 countries in Eastern, Central, and Southern Africa.
DAAD/AERC CMAAE PhD Fellowship Program 2021/2022
The CMAAE Ph.D. fellowship programme aims at building the staff capacity of network universities that may not have adequate capacity in research and teaching at the postgraduate level.
The Ph.D. should be in Agricultural Economics through coursework, research, and thesis in Sub-Saharan Africa among CMAAE accredited universities within East Africa (Egerton University and the University of Nairobi in Kenya,
Makerere University in Uganda, the Sokoine University of Agriculture in Tanzania, and Haramaya University in Ethiopia.
DAAD in cooperation with the CMAAE Programme of AERC is offering up to 6 in-country, in-region Ph.D. scholarships in Agricultural and Applied Economics.
The objective of this cooperation is to support the national and regional postgraduate training program offered by AERC.
A. Ph.D. Fellowship Programme for CMAAE Network Faculty Members
- All applicants must be holders of a master’s degree in agricultural and applied economics or related discipline.
- Applicants must be staff or potential staff members of a participating CMAAE university who are earmarked for staff retention to build the teaching and research capacities of departments of agricultural economics.
- Applicants must be recommended by a participating network university. The recommendation letter must indicate the willingness of the university to absorb the candidate upon successful completion of his/her Ph.D.
B. Ph.D. Programme for CMAAE Graduates
- Must have attained at least a Second-Class Honors (Upper Division) or equivalent in their undergraduate degree in Agricultural Economics or related field from an accredited University.
- Must have a master’s degree with coursework and thesis component in Agricultural Economics, Economics or related fields from a CMAAE network university.
- The coursework should have covered microeconomics, macroeconomics and quantitative methods.
- Possession of at least one relevant publication in a refereed journal will be an added advantage.
- Evidence of engagement in economic management, research, and/training in the public sector will be an added advantage.
Fields of specialization covered in the CMAAE programme include Agricultural and Rural Development, Agricultural Policy and Trade, Environment and Natural Resource Management, and Agribusiness Management.
Interested applicants must submit their applications for admission directly to the respective host universities (application procedure can be obtained from the respective university websites).
Upon receipt of an admission letter, temporary admission letter or letter assuring admission from the specific university, the applicant should apply to AERC for the scholarship by submitting the below listed documents via firstname.lastname@example.org not later than December 15, 2020.
Note that the application to AERC is done concurrently with the application to DAAD with the same deadline so that the same data is captured by the two institutions.
Simultaneously, applicants must apply for the scholarship via the DAAD portal by logging into the DAAD portal, registering themselves, and submitting a DAAD
Documents for Application include;
- DAAD requirements accessible here
- Hand-signed curriculum vitae; please use the Europass CV template
- DAAD application form duly filled (available in the DAAD-Portal)
- Certified copies of all university degree certificate
- Certified copies of all university transcripts
- At least a temporary admission letter or an official letter assuring admission, including fee structure of the respective course (original or certified copy)
- Letter of motivation (Maximum 2 pages)
- For faculty members, a reference letter from the Head of Department as proof of employment (original only)
- Ph.D. proposals which must demonstrate relevance to agricultural development
- Two (2) recommendation letters from academic referees who are at least Senior Lecturer in rank.
A preselection by DAAD will be done using plagiarism and other criteria, followed by a shortlisting by an AERC selection committee and concluded by a joint selection committee of AERC, DAAD, and other partners.
For more information, click the CMAAE Ph.D. Fellowship