What is Flipkart Walmart? It’s kind of confusing, right? Yes, well, it is to me, I don’t know about you. What is the relationship between these two? Flipkart and Walmart as we all know are two separate platforms.

Is Flipkart owned by Walmart


In fact, they both are online marketplaces. This means that they are supposed to be in competition right? Bringing the two names together therefore just isn’t making any sense. What if I am to tell you that there is a relationship between these two?

Hope you won’t freak out. Well, yes, there is a relationship and do you want to know what the relationship is all about? If you want to know then you have to continue reading.

Check Out: Flipkart Online Shopping – Online Shopping Site for Mobiles, Electronics, and Furniture on Flipkart.com

Flipkart Walmart

Flipkart is India’s very own online marketplace where people can buy and sell. It is considered by many to e India’s very own Amazon. This is the biggest online retail platform in India.

On this platform, users can buy and sell almost anything they want as long as it goes with the platform’s policy. Walmart, on the other hand, is the largest retail online marketplace in the world. And just like every other marketplace users can buy and sell their products.

The Relationship between Flipkart and Walmart

One of the similarities between these two platforms is that they are both online marketplaces where you can carry out the business of buying and selling. The relationship between these two platforms, on the other hand, is that Walmart owns almost 100% of the controlling stock of the Flipkart online marketplace company.

On May 9, 2018, Walmart took the gamble of purchasing a 77% controlling stock on the Flipkart Company for 16 billion USD. A gamble which has well paid off.

Although the Flipkart platform is now mostly owned by Walmart, both platforms still remain separate. Since the platform has been both by the other most users expect it to be merged or something. Well, this is not the case here as both platforms still carry out their daily forms of business independently and separately.

Does Walmart own 100% of Flipkart?

No, Walmart does not own 100% of Flipkart. In 2018, Walmart acquired a 77% stake in Flipkart for $16 billion. The remaining 23% of the company is owned by a group of investors, including Tencent, Tiger Global, and Microsoft. In 2020, Walmart led a $1.2 billion investment round in Flipkart, which increased its stake to 82%.

It is possible that Walmart may eventually acquire the remaining 18% of Flipkart, but there has been no announcement to that effect as of yet.

Is Flipkart associated with Walmart?

Yes, Flipkart is associated with Walmart. In 2018, Walmart acquired a 77% stake in Flipkart for $16 billion. This makes Walmart the largest shareholder in Flipkart. The remaining 23% of the company is owned by a group of investors, including Tencent, Tiger Global, and Microsoft.

Walmart’s investment in Flipkart is part of the company’s strategy to expand its presence in the e-commerce market. India is one of the world’s fastest-growing e-commerce markets, and Walmart sees Flipkart as a key player in this market.

Walmart’s investment in Flipkart has been met with mixed reactions. Some people believe that the investment will help Flipkart to grow and compete with Amazon, which is the dominant player in the Indian e-commerce market. Others are concerned that Walmart will use its influence to stifle competition in the Indian e-commerce market.

Only time will tell how Walmart’s investment in Flipkart will impact the Indian e-commerce market. However, it is clear that Walmart is serious about expanding its presence in this market.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here