Gates Cambridge Scholarships is open and targeted at international students from any nationality other than the UK. The scholarship programme allows Masters, PhD level programme(s) in the field of All Subjects with few exceptions taught at the university. It is highly competitive full-cost scholarships. These scholarships are awarded to outstanding applicants from countries outside the UK to pursue a full-time postgraduate degree in any subject. You should consider reading more on this article to get more information about the Gates Cambridge Scholarships.
Gates Cambridge Scholarships
This programme was established by the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation in 2000 with a $210 million endowment to enable outstanding graduate students’ study in the university. The eligible students are given funding for postgraduate study at the University of Cambridge for the duration of the degree. And they are also able to access travel funds for conferences, have exclusive use of recreational and social facilities, and participate in an annual retreat to the lake district.
Here is a basic description of the Gates Cambridge Scholarships.
- Scholarship type: Postgraduate.
- Target Students: International students.
- Institution: University of Cambridge.
- Host: Gates Foundation.
The Gates Cambridge Scholarships allows students to study under All Subjects (PhD, MSc or MLitt, or a one-year postgraduate course in any subject available at the University of Cambridge).
Below are some courses that are not eligible to be studied for the Gates Cambridge Scholarships:
- Any undergraduate’s degree course such as BA (undergraduate) or BA affiliated (a second BA).
- Master of Finance (MFin).
- Graduate Course in Medicine (A101).
- Master of Busines (MBA).
- PGCE MBBChir Clinical Studies.
- MD Doctor of Medicine degree (6 years part-time).
- Part-time degree.
- Non-degree courses.
The scholarship is targeted at students from any nationality other than the UK.
Benefits of Gates Cambridge Scholarships
Under the Gates Cambridge Scholarships, there are benefits that the programme covers for eligible candidates. Here are the benefits:
- Tuition fees.
- Maintenance allowance.
- Travel costs.
- Provides additional, discretionary funding such as academic development funding, family allowance, fieldwork, etc.
Eligible Criteria for the Gates Cambridge Scholarships
Before applying for the scholarship programme, here are the eligibility criteria you ought to meet:
- Applicants must be a citizen of any country outside the United Kingdom.
- Must be applying or in pursuit of one of the below listed full-time residential courses of study at the University of Cambridge:
- PhD (three years research-only degree).
- MSc or MLitt (two years research-only degree).
- One-year postgraduate course (e.g. MPhil, LLM. MASt, Diploma, MBA, etc.).
- Applicants can also be a student already in the University of Cambridge and want to apply for a new postgraduate course. (if you are studying for an MPhil you can apply for a Gates Cambridge Scholarship to do a PhD. However, if you have already started a course, you cannot be eligible to apply. You must apply by the second, international deadline and go through the same process of departmental ranking, shortlisting and interviewing as all other candidates).
The applicants for the Gates Cambridge Scholarships must submit their application or admission and funding via the University’s Graduate Application Portal. Then to be considered for the scholarship, you must complete the section to apply for admission to a course and a college place and the Gates Cambridge part of funding section.
- Visit the URL https://www.gatescambridge.org/apply/how-to-apply/.
- Scroll down and click on APPLY NOW.
- Enter a course you want to take at the University of Cambridge.
- From the list of related courses, click on the one you want.
- Read more on the course programme details, and then click on the Apply Now button on the right side of the page.
- Register for a student portal.
- Enter your email, password and reenter the password.
- Click on Register.
- Provide your email, password, and reenter the password.
- Click to checkmark the boxes of the terms and condition, and privacy and cookies.
- Verify your account via the mail sent to the provided email during your registration.
- Sign in to your student portal after verification.
- Choose a course start date.
- Check the documents to provide, application fee, and other information.
- Click on Apply for this course.
- Enter your personal details, course application information, funding (how to apply for funding), equal opportunities, and attach the required documents.
- Pay for the application fee using your credit or debit card.
- Click on Submit.
Your application will be sent to the university. You just have to wait for the selection processes and your application status. This will indicate whether you are selected for this application or rejected. Then you can follow the guidelines provided to confirm your application. You can check on your mail for the application status or login to the student portal.
Please visit the URL https://www.gatescambridge.org/apply/how-to-apply/ to get more information on how you can apply and to apply.
There is two Gates Cambridge Scholarships application deadline: 14th of October 2020 (for US citizens residents in the USA) and 3rd December 2020 or 7th January 2021 depending on the course (for all other eligible applicants).
Official Website: https://www.gatescambridge.org/apply/how-to-apply/.