Have you ever heard of Google Classroom? Sounds strange right? This topic is not an all popular topic discussed all the time. But it of great advantage when you get engaged in it. In our article today, I will be writing so much about what it is. So you do not get left out on this. After going through this article, I promise you will never create the chance to miss out on this one!
Google Classroom is a free service owned and developed by Google. For school organizations that aim to achieve a simple system of making up, distributing, and giving grades to assignments. Also, and assessments in a paperless way. The main aim of this feature is to design new processes of sharing files between the teachers and their students. This feature works hand in hand with Google Docs, sheets and slides for writing. Also, Google drives for the making up and distributing of assignments. It also works with Google calendar which helps in schedules. And Gmail for the purpose of effective communication. Students are usually invited to join classes through school domains and codes.
Importance of Google Classroom
Each class in these domains is categorized under different folders depending on the user’s drive. This is where the students can submit their works to be accessed and graded by the teachers. This feature is available as a mobile app on Android and iOS devices. Which allow its users to attach photos to assignments. And also share different files from several other apps and also access pieces of information offline. In here, teachers also possess the capability to monitor the progress of their students and so many other functions.
This classroom service was announced on May 2014. With the availability of some specific users of the G suite Education Program. It was actually released for public availability on August 2014. Google also provided a classroom communication system and share buttons for websites. Which enables the school managers and administrators to engage more in this classroom service. On August 24, Google also introduced Google calendar. A time management and scheduling service, for the schedules of assignment due dates, trips and class activities.
In March 2017, Google introduced the classroom service to permit anyone having a Google account to join classes without having a G Suite Education account. And in April, it became possible for anyone having a personal Google account to create classes and teach students. On August 2018, Google announced a classroom update. They added a new classroom section. Improved the interface of grading assignments, permitted the reuse of assessments. And also classwork from other classes, and added more features for teachers to arrange contents for topics.
Features of Google Classroom
This classroom service bonds Google sheets, Google drive, Google Slides, Google docs and Gmail together as one. In order to help educational systems operate in a paperless way. Google calendar was later introduced to help in the scheduling and reminders for dues dates for assignments, trips and also class activities.
- Grading – this service allows different schemes of grading. Teachers have the functionality to attach external files which students can access, view or get a copy of. Students can also create files and attach them to the assignment given if a file was not created by a teacher. In this feature, teachers can also keep track of students’ progress, and give grades to assignments of their students.
- Assignments – assignments are given to students are being stored and graded on Google’s suite applications that permit the working together of teacher and students or student and student. These assignments are being stored in the student’s drive and submitted to their teachers for grading. They also possess the functionality to attach external files and photos from their drive to these assignments.
- Communication – in this part, announcements are being posted by teachers to the students in the classroom. Which can be viewed and commented on by the students, and this process allows communication between the teachers and their students. Various digital mediums from Google such as videos and YouTube can be attached to these announcements for the purpose of sharing files and contents. Gmail also provides the e-mail function for teachers to send email messages to various students in the classroom service. The classroom can be accessed through the mobile app or through the web.
- Archiving of Courses – Instructors and teachers are able to arrange courses all in one document at the end of each term. When a particular course has been archived (kept in one document). It is removed from the class home page and stored in the collection of archived classes in order to help instructors and teachers keep their current classes arranged.
- The Mobile Application – the “Google Classroom mobile app” was announced in January 2015, and is supported by Android and IOS devices. This app allows students to take and attach photos to assignments, share files and allow the access of pieces of information offline.
How to Use Google Classroom
- Set up your Google classroom – this classroom service is available for anyone who uses a “Google app for education” account. All you need to do is visit classroom.google.com. From here, follow the steps given to you and your classroom will be created.
- You can store educational materials – teachers could store materials like the syllabus of courses or helpful lesson tips.
- Also, you can make announcements to students through this platform
- You can create share and grade assignments.