If Google Lens is not already on your device, then you can install the app from the App Store of your device. Google Lens helps you to explore the world around you easily. In order words, it helps you search for the things you see, get things faster, and also understand the world around you.
All that you use is your device camera or a photo that you already have on the device. With Google Lens, you can get details or take actions on your photos, objects around you and also manage your searches. It is simple to use and you can learn more by reading on.
Google Lens is an image recognition technology that was developed by Google. It is a service that is designed to bring up relevant information related to objects it identifies with the use of visual analysis on a neutral network. According to Wikipedia, “Google Lens was announced during Google I/O 2017.
The service was introduced as a standalone app, however, it was later integrated into Android’d standard camera app. It can be used to translate text in real-time, look up words, add events to your calendar, call a number, and many more. Or you could simply copy and paste to save some time.
You can find a look that you like, once you see an outfit you like or maybe a piece of furniture. Get inspired by similar outfits or furniture without even making a description of what you are looking for. There are plenty of things you can do with Google Lens, however, you need to have it on your device. To learn more about Google Lens, visit their website at https://lens.google.com/
Google Lens Features
When you’re directing your device camera at an object or item, the service will attempt to identify it by reading QR Codes, labels, texts, barcodes. And then relevant results ad information will be shown. Google Lens is integrated with Google Photos and Google Assistant apps. It is quite similar to Google Goggles, which does a similar functionality as this but has lesser capabilities.
Google announced four features on the service during Google I/O in 2019. It will be able to recognize and also recommend items on a menu, also, it has the ability to calculate tips and split bills. There are lots of functionalities or features on Google Lens, however, you need to use it to discover some of the incredible features.
What Can I do with Google Lens?
The service lets you search or find whatever you wish to see and also gets things done faster. Aside from that fact, there are still lots of things you can do with the app or service. Here are some of the things you can do with the service;
- Scan & Translate Text: using Lens, you can translate words that you see, save a business card to your contacts, add events to your calendar from a post.
- Identify Plants and Animals: search or find the plant or animal that’s in your surrounding.
- Explore Places: with Lens, you can explore and identify the places around you. Learn easily about Landmarks, restaurants, and also storefronts.
- Find the Look that you want: if an outfit catches your eyes and you need something similar too, use Lens to find it.
- Scan codes and barcodes.
- Know exactly what to order on the restaurant menu based on the reviews on Google maps using Lens.
There are lots of things you can do with the service or app on your device, however as I said earlier, you need to download the app. That’s if Lens can’t be found on your device camera.
How Does Google Lens work?
Lens works simply on the device that is accessible or eligible with it. It is simple to use and works quite fast and easy. Google Lens works on any device including iOS and Android. You can get download the Lens on iOS, but you can download Google Photos to use it. Because it integrates with Google Photos. On Android, you can download the app, although it integrates with some Android cameras. Now, let’s download the standalone app first.
Download Google Lens
To download the Google lens app on your device, follow the instructions below;
- Launch the Google Play Store and use the search to Google Lens and tap on the first app.
- Once the Lens app download page is loaded, tap on the “Install” button.
It will be downloaded and installed on your device immediately if you have a good internet connection.
Google Lens iPhone
To use Lens on your iOS device, you need to install Google Photo, as it doesn’t have a standalone app for iOS. With the Photos app on your device, you have access to Lens for free. Using it on your iOS doesn’t require any charges from you. So let’s download the Photos app. Follow below;
- On your iOS AppStore, use the search and enter Google Photos and tap on the first result shown.
- Once the download/information page is shown, tap on “Get”.
Photos will be download and installed into your iOS device immediately and now you access Lens.
How to Use Google Lens
Using Google Lens, you can get details or take actions on your photos, objects around you, and image searches with Lens. I will be showing you how to use the service on Android and iOS devices, so read below to learn more.
How to use Google Lens on Android;
Get details and take action on your photos;
- On your Android phone or tab, open the Google Photos app.
- Then select a photo and tap on Lens.
- Depending on your device, check the details, take an action, or find similar products.
Find info about the objects around you;
- Open Google Lens.
- Point the camera at an item.
- Then on your screen, tap the item and select “Speak”.
- Ask a question or say a simple command such as “What is this” and other information you wish to know about the item.
Find info about results in image search;
- Open your phone or tablet, and then go to images.google.com and search for image.
- Once the result is shown, tap an image result.
- Then tap on Lens. If a white dot is shown, tap on it, though it depends on the device that you are using. If not shown, use your finger or a stylus circle part of the image,
- Tap on image result.
To leave, simply tap on “Close X”.
How to Use Google Lens on iOS;
On iOS, it can be used with Google Photos or Google App, but not eligible with Google Assistant or Camera. So, follow below to learn more;
Get Details and take action on your photos;
- On your iOS, open the Photos app by Google.
- Select a photo and then tap “Lens.
- Based on your device, check the details or take an action.
Find info about objects around you;
- On your iPhone, open the Google app.
- Then in the search, tap on Lens. If it hasn’t been used before, tap on “Turn on Camera to use Lens”.
- Tap on the item on the next screen.
- Then at the bottom, tap on a result or search.
Find info about results in image search;
- On iPhone or iPad, go to images.google.com and search for any image.
- Tap on any image result that will be shown.
- Tap on the white dot there, if available. Or use your finger or stylus to circle a part of the image.
- Then tap on an image result
There you have it. Simple right? So what exactly are you waiting for?