Google Map Platform is a phrase most individuals find very difficult to understand. But the fact is, it is easy to understand one and we’ll be providing you with a brief explanation of what it means.
As you must have known, Google Maps is a service that can be used for free. So, what is Google map? Now, of course, I will be telling you what Google Map Platform is all about.
However, without the Maps itself, you won’t be able to access or enable the Google Map Platform. I believe you wish to learn more and that’s why you’ve clicked on this post, so read on.
Google Maps Platform
Google Map Platform simply means a set of APIs and SDKs that are managed from the Google Cloud Platform console. Getting started on the platform is very easy and fast. All you need is to create a billing account, a project, enable one or more APIs or SDKs and get, add and restrict an API key.
In this article, I will be showing you how you can enable the platform easily. As the process is simple, you can easily get it done in no time. You can learn more about the Google Map Platform by visiting the site at https://cloud.google.com/maps-platform
What is Google Maps?
Google Maps is simply a web mapping service developed by Google. The service offers users Satellite imagery, aerial photography, street maps, 360-degree panoramic views of streets, etc. It can be used by travelers using foot, car, air, etc.
The mapping service started as a C++ desktop program but later developed a web application and also a mobile application. That is to say, there’s a mobile application version that is compatible with any device type including iOS and Android devices. Now we know what Google maps mean, so what is the Google Maps Platform?
Enable Google Map Platform
As I’ve said before, getting started is very easy and the procedure is fast. There are videos you watch to learn how to. But I will be giving some procedures to be followed in getting started. The instructions in this article will describe how to use the GCP console to perform the starting procedures. You would need to;
- Create a billing account
- Create a project
- Enable one or more APIs or SDKs
- Get, add and restrict an API key
Create a Billing Account
In other to use the Google Maps platform, you would need to create a billing account. This account is used to track all costs associated with the projects. To create, follow below;
- Go to the Cloud platform console at https://console.cloud.google.com/getting-started
- Then click on the “Menu” button and choose “Billing”.
- Set up the account. If this is your first account, on the page, click on “Add billing account”.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to set the account.
- If you already have an account, on the page click on “Manage Billing accounts”. A list will be displayed with billing accounts.
- Select “Create Account”.
Follow the on-screen instructions to set up the next billing account.
Create a Project
A project is needed if you must use the Google Maps platform. It is a basis for managing your services, billing, credentials, APIs, and SDKs. To create a project;
- Follow steps one and two above.
- Then click on the project drop-down and select “New Project”.
- Fill in the required information on the form.
- The project name, project ID, billing account, and location.
- Then click on “Create”.
Enable one or more APIs or SDKs
This is a very relevant procedure. Make sure to enable the APIs or SDKs you plan to use with the project. To enable;
- Follow the first and second steps on the “Create billing account” process.
- Select “APIs & Services> Library.
- From the library, locate the maps and hit on “View All”. They are up to 15.
- On the maps page, hit on “API or SDK” you wish to enable.
- Back on the library page, below the name of API or SDK selected, if the button shows “Enable”, click to do so. If it shows “Manage”, it means that it has been enabled.
- Repeat the steps above for each one you wish to enable.
Get, Add and Restrict an API Key
To get, add and restrict an API key, follow the steps below;
- On the page, you would see a library for the ones to select.
- Select the one you’re interested in.
- You would be directed to the “Get an API Key” guide.
Follow the on-screen instructions that will be displayed to get, add and restrict the Key. If you’re all set up, you can start using the Google Map platform APIs and SDKs.
How can I view the APIs or SDKs enabled?
- Go to the Google Cloud Platform Console at https://console.cloud.google.com/getting-started
- Then locate the Google Maps API page.
- Click on “APIs” to view the status.
Just like that, you’re all set to go.