Google has come out with another one again known as Google Meet. The service was built with Google Hangouts, but Google’s team made it a standalone app on its own. The company re-engineered the service and made it a secure tool for businesses to use. That is to say, Google meet is a great video calling app for conference calls or business meetings. You can keep your team connected with this great robust and secure global infrastructure from Google.
With Google meet, you can start a video meeting or conferencing using your smartphone or computer. Though the service is a G suite product, it can still be accessed by non-G suite users, but you will need to have a Google account to use it. Now, tell me why you will want to miss out on such a nice tool. Well, if you wish to learn more about the service or app, read on.
Google Meet is a video communication service developed by the world’s biggest search engine, Google. It is one of the two apps that made up Google Hangouts, the other is Google Chat. The service ran as a commercial service but earlier this year, it started rolling out for free for users as well. Google meet is described as an enterprise-friendly version of Google Hangouts. At the launch, it actually featured a web app, an Android app, and an iOS app. Being a G Suite service, let’s have a look at some of the features it offers G-Suite users. For those that will access it using your computer, here’s the URL Google Meets.
Google Meet for G Suite Users
As a G Suite user, if you are wondering about the features it has to offer you, well below are some of the features you can see;
- It allows up to 100 members per call for G Suite Basic users, 150 for G Suite Business users, and then up to 250 for G Suite Enterprise users.
- You can join a meeting from the web or through the Android or iOS app.
- It gives the ability to call into meeting a dial-in number.
- The dial-in numbers are protected for G Suite Enterprise edition users.
- It integrates with Google Calendar.
- It allows screen sharing to present documents such as spreadsheets and presentations.
- Calls are encrypted between users.
The above are some of the features like I said, I will be listening out some. And that means there is more you should be looking out for using Google Meet as a G Suite user.
How To Use Google Meet
This business-oriented version of Google Hangouts is simple and fast to understand. Google Meet allows users to actually join pre-scheduled meetings via calendar events, providing a meeting code, link, and even dial in from phones if your invitation includes an active phone number. I will be showing you to use this tool or service for making video calls, but first will talk briefly about the app and how to download it.
Google Meet App
With the Google Meet app, you can securely connect, collaborate, and also celebrate from anywhere. You can safely create and join high-quality video meetings with a large number of users. Here are the key features of the app;
- Host unlimited high definition video meetings.
- Meet safely
- Google Meet gives easy access. All you have to do is share a link and the invited guests can join with just a simple click using a computer or the Google Meet app.
- With the app, you can share your screen to present your slides, documents, and many more.
- You can follow along with real-time captions powered by Google speech to text technology.
The app is free and simple to download and also use. As I said earlier, the app is compatible with Android and iOS devices.
Google Meet App Download
The app is free to download, which means you can easily install Meet on your phone, following the steps below;
- Launch the App Store on your device and tap on the search box.
- Type in Google Meet. A list of similar search terms will be displayed.
- Tap on the first one to the app information/download page.
- Then tap on “Install” on the Google Meet app page.
The app will be installed into your smartphone immediately and you can start using it.
Google Meet Tutorial
Now we know a bit about the Google Meet service, so let’s dive into the tutorials on how to use it. In this paragraph, we’ll be talking about how to start or schedule a video meeting, how to join, and also how to add people to meetings. Let’s go.
How to Start/Schedule a Video Meeting
Using Google Calendar;
- In the Calendar, tap on events. They create an event.
- Then add guests from inside or outside your organization.
- Tap on Done, and afterwards, tap on “Save.
Using the Meet App;
- Open the app.
- Tap on + New meeting to start a meeting or tap on the Meeting code and enter a meeting code. G Suite users can type in nicknames as well.
- Tap on Join.
- Open your Gmail, in the sidebar, select “Start a Meeting”.
- In the meeting window, select an option to join the meeting.
- Once you’re in the meeting, add people.
How To Join A Video meeting
You can join a video meeting from different locations. Well, you can join from;
- Google Calendar event
- Google Meet
- A meeting link or URL.
- A smartphone.
- Google meeting Room
- Third-party system.
I might not be listing out all of the steps for the methods mentioned above, but we’ll be looking at some of the ways you can join a video meeting.
- Open Gmail.
- On the sidebar, hit on Join a Meeting.
- Then enter a meeting code or nickname.
- And click on “Join”.
From Google Calendar;
- In your Google calendar app, open the event.
- Then tap on “Join Video Call”.
Using Google Meet;
- Launch the Meet app.
- Swipe up from the bottom to view your scheduled meetings. Note; only the meetings scheduled using Google Calendar appear on Google Meet.
- Tap on “Join” or simply select a meeting from the list and tap on “Join Meeting”.
For G Suite Users Entering With A Code;
- Open the app and tap on “Meeting Code”.
- Enter the meeting code or nickname and tap on “Join Meeting”.
If you are not signed in to Google or Gmail account, you won’t be able to join or use the Google Meet tool.
How to Add people;
To a video meeting in progress;
- Open Google Meet and select “Join a Video Meeting”.
- Then tap on info and then select “Share”. Select the app to send the meeting details to your guests.
This feature is available for Meetings organized by G Suite users and is currently supported in certain regions. Follow below;
- Tap on Information.
- Select share and choose how you want to share (email or text).
Just as you can add people, you can equally remove people from video meetings. To remove;
- Tap on “People”.
- Tap on the person’s name that you wish to remove and tap on “Removed”.
- Lastly, tap on “Remove” again to confirm.
And That’s it!