I know you wonder what GSK could possibly mean. GSK is an acronym and it simply means GlaxoSmithKline representing the GlaxoSmithKline plc. GlaxoSmithKline (GSK) is a British multinational pharmaceutical company. This company is into the productions of pharmaceuticals, oral healthcare, medicines (over the counter medicines), vaccines, and giving out prescriptions as well.
GlaxoSmithKline partakes in the pharmaceutical industries, biotechnology industries, and also the fast-moving consumer goods production industry. These include research, career opportunities, and also its responsibility in our world. Well, this article is here to enlighten you on it. Read on to find out more about it.
This company which is a public limited company was the world’s sixth-largest pharmaceutical company according to Forbes as of the year 2019. It is the sixth to the first five; Pfizer, Novartis, Roche, Sanofi and Merck & Co. This company was founded in December 2000 by a merger of Glaxo Wellcome and SmithKline Beecham. It has its headquarters in Brentford, United Kingdom. The products of the company are not restricted to any certain area in the world as it is currently serving worldwide.
The goal, strategy, purpose, and values of GSK are;
- Goal: the goal of GSK is to be one of the world’s most innovative, best performing, and trusted healthcare companies.
- Strategy: the strategy of the company is to bring differentiated, high quality, and needed healthcare products to as many people as possible with their three global businesses, scientific and technical know-how, and talented people.
- Purpose: the special purpose of GSK is to help people do more, feel better, and live longer.
- Values: the values are patient focus, transparency, respect, and integrity. The expectations are courage, accountability, development, and teamwork.
The values and expectations of the company are at the heart of everything they do and form an important part of their culture.
The number of employees working in this pharmaceutical company is over one hundred and ten thousand people (110 000) who are in over one hundred (100) countries in the world. The official website page of GlaxoSmithKline is www.gsk.com
This pharmaceutical company, GlaxoSmithKline, has about three subsidiaries which are;
- Stiefel Laboratories,
- Viiv Healthcare
These subsidiaries are the three global businesses that research, develop, and manufacture innovative pharmaceutical medicines, vaccines, and consumer healthcare.
More About GSK
GlaxoSmithKline has a significant global presence with commercial operations in more than a hundred and fifty (150) countries. It also has a network of eighty-nine (89) manufacturing sites and large Research and Development (R&D) centres in the United Kingdom, United States of America, China, and Belgium.
GSK is into a lot of things that are pharmaceutically related. They are;
The consumer healthcare business of GlaxoSmithKline develops and markets products in pain relief, oral health, nutrition, and digestive health. They are currently one of the world’s leading over the counter medicines company. They also have a portfolio of trusted brands like Panadol, Voltaren, Andrews, Sensodyne, etc. that have been underpinned by science.
Research for Product Innovation
The company uses science to speed up the time to develop new product innovations, to make them more accessible to the people who need them and to develop benefits of their customer’s value and ultimately grow their business.
Pharmaceuticals and Vaccines
The pharmaceuticals business of GSK discovers, develops, and makes medicines to treat a broad range of the world’s most common acute and chronic diseases. The company brings in more medicine of value to more people who need them. This is done by working in partnership with governments, NGOs, and academia.
Global Manufacturing and Supply (GMS)
This is the manufacturing unit of GSK Consumer Nigeria PLC. It is committed to continuous improvement in the company’s manufacturing operations to fully satisfy industry standards and regulatory expectations.
GSK is known for its wide range of medicines, prescriptions, vaccines, and consumers healthcare products. All the products of GSK are grouped into four categories. The following groups are under which all the products are classified in to are;
- Pharmaceutical products
- Consumer healthcare products
- Vaccines and
- Sport supplements products
The manufactured products under the above groups would be listed out too.
- Adartrel (ropinirole hydrochloride)
- Advair (salmeterol, fluticasone propionate)
- Altabax (retapamulin ointment)
- Altargo (retapamulin)
- Amerge (naratriptan)
- Amoxil (amoxicillin)
- Anectine (suxamethonium chloride)
- Duodart (dutasteride / tamsulosin hydrochloride)
- Arranon (nelarabine)
- Arzerra (ofatumumab)
- Levitra (vardenafil HCl)
- Atriance (nelarabine)
- Avandamet (rosiglitazone/metformin HCl)
- Dyazide (hydrochlorothiazide/triamterene)
- Avandaryl (rosiglitazone maleate/glimepiride)
- Avandia (rosiglitazone maleate)
- Breo (fluticasone furoate/vilanterol)
- Avodart (dutasteride)
- Bactroban (mupirocin)
- Benlysta (belimumab)
- Calpol (paracetamol)
- Ceftin (cefuroxime axetil)
- Bexxar (tositumomab)
- Combodart (dutasteride / tamsulosin hydrochloride)
- Coreg (carvedilol)
- Betnovate (betamethasone valerate)
- Coreg CR (carvedilol phosphate)
- Cultivate (fluticasone propionate)
- Daraprim (pyrimethamine)
- Dermovate (clobetasol propionate)
- Eumovate (clobetasone butyrate)
- Flixonase (fluticasone propionate)
- Augmentin (amoxicillin/clavulanate potassium)
- Flixotide (fluticasone propionate)
- Flolan (epoprostenol)
- Avamys (fluticasone furoate)
- Flovent (fluticasone propionate)
- Fortum (ceftazidime)
- Horizant (gabapentin enacarbil)
- Hycamtin (topotecan)
- Imigran (sumatriptan succinate)
- Jalyn (dutasteride/tamsulosin hydrochloride)
- Lamictal (lamotrigine)
- Veramyst (fluticasone furoate)
- Lovaza (omega-3-acid ethyl esters)
- Malarone (atovaquone and proguanil hydrochloride)
- Mepron (atovaquone)
- Naramig (naratriptan hydrochloride)
- Nimbex (cisatracurium besilate)
- Paxil (paroxetine)
- Pentostam (sodium stibogluconate)
- Imitrex (sumatriptan succinate)
- Potiga (ezogabine)
- Prolia (denosumab)
- Integrilin (eftifibatide)
- Promacta (eltrombopag)
- Relenza (zanamivir)
- Requip (ropinirole hydrochloride)
- Mivacron (mivacurium chloride)
- Respontin nebules (ipratropium bromide)
- Revolade (eltrombopag)
- Otosporin ear drops (polymyxin B sulphate, neomycin sulphate, hydrocortisone)
- Rythmol (propafenone hydrochloride)
- Rythmol SR (propafenone hydrochloride)
- Seretide (salmeterol xinofoate, fluticasone propionate)
- Staxyn (vardenafil hydrochloride)
- Tracrium (atracurium besilate)
- Treximet (sumatriptan and naproxen sodium)
- Serevent (salmeterol xinafoate)
- Trobalt (retigabine)
- Seroxat (paroxetine hydrochloride)
- Tykerb (lapatinib)
- Ultiva (remifentanil hydrochloride)
- Varubi (rolapitant)
- Tyverb (lapatinib)
- Ventolin (salbutamol sulphate)
- Argatroban (argatroban)
- Ventolin HFA (albuterol)
- Arixtra (fondaparinux sodium)
- Volibris (ambrisentan)
- Votrient (pazopanib)
- Wellbutrin (bupropion hydrochloride)
- Zantac (ranitidine hydrochloride)
- Zeffix (lamivudine)
- Valtrex (valaciclovir hydrochloride)
- Zejula (niraparib)
- Zinacef (cefuroxime)
- Wellvone (atovaquone)
- Zinnat (cefuroxime axetil)
- Zofran (ondansetron hydrochloride)
- Trimovate (clobetasone butyrate)
- Zovirax (aciclovir)
- Zyban (bupropion hydrochloride)
Consumer Healthcare Products
Consumer healthcare products are made for public health care. They are mostly the over counter medicines. They are brands that help people do more, feel better, and live longer. The products are for pain relief, nutrition and digestive health, oral health, skin health, and respiration of the consumers. They are;
- Fenistil (dermatological)
- Parodontax (oral healthcare)
- Abreva (Docosanol)
- alli (Orlistat)
- Beechams Cold & Flu and Night/Day Nurse (cold and flu treatments)
- Binaca (oral healthcare)
- Cetebe (vitamins and naturals)
- Chlorhexamed (oral healthcare)
- Biotene (oral healthcare)
- Cholinex (analgesics and respiratory tract)
- Citrucel (gastrointestinal)
- Boost (nutritional)
- Coldrex (cold and flu treatment)
- Commit Lozenge (smoking cessation)
- Breathe Right (respiratory)
- Committed Quitters (nicotine replacement)
- Corega (oral healthcare)
- Best (oral healthcare)
- Corsodyl (oral healthcare)
- Crocin (analgesics and respiratory tract)
- ENO (gastrointestinal)
- Grand-PA (headache/toothache/pain and fever)
- Flonase (fluticasone propionate)
- Excedrin (pain relief)
- Lamisil (dermatological)
- Physiogel (dermatological)
- Horlicks Promind (nutritional)
- Junior Horlicks (nutritional)
- Iodex (pain relief)
- Horlicks (nutritional)
- Iodosan (cold and flu treatment)
- Macleans (oral healthcare)
- Formigran (analgesic/triptan)
- Maltova (nutritional)
- Fenbid (analgesics and respiratory tract)
- Maxinutrition (nutritional)
- Eumovate (dermatological)
- Med-Lemon (Hot Cold and Flu Medication)
- Hinds (dermatological)
- Medacalm (vitamins and naturals)
- Nicorette (nicotine replacement)
- Odol-med3 (oral healthcare)
- NiQuitin CQ/ Nicoderm CQ/ Nicabate (nicotine replacement)
- Odol (oral healthcare)
- Panadeine (analgesics and respiratory tract)
- Os-cal (oral healthcare)
- Panadol (analgesics and respiratory tract)
- Rutinoscorbin (vitamins and naturals)
- Piriton/Piriteze (anti-allergy)
- Scott’s Emulsion (vitamins and naturals)
- Poligrip Ultra (oral healthcare)
- Sensodyne (oral healthcare)
- Polident (oral healthcare)
- Shumitect (oral healthcare)
- Astring O Sol (oral healthcare)
- Solpadeine (analgesics and respiratory tract)
- Aquafresh (oral healthcare)
- Super Wernet’s (oral healthcare)
- Contac (respiratory)
- Zovirax (dermatological)
- Synthol (oral healthcare)
- Voltaren (pain relief)
- Theraflu (Respiratory)
- Super Poligrip (oral healthcare)
- Otrivin (respiratory)
- Tums (gastrointestinal)
- Nicotinell (respiratory)
- Viva (vitamins and naturals) Origin: Nepal
These are some of the products that have been produced by GSK for consumers healthcare.
GlaxoSmithKline has also been involved in research and the creation of vaccines for the good of humans.
- ACWY Vax (for meningococcal polysaccharides serogroups A, C, W135, and Y)
- Ambirix (for hepatitis A (inactivated) and hepatitis B (rDNA) (HAB))
- Bexsero (meningitis B)
- Boostrix (for tetanus toxoid, reduced diphtheria toxoid, and acellular pertussis)
- Cervarix (for human Papillomavirus vaccine (types 16, 18))
- Encepur (tick-borne encephalitis)
- Engerix-B (for hepatitis B)
- Fendrix (for hepatitis B (rDNA))
- Fluarix (for influenza)
- FluLaval (for influenza)
- Havrix (for hepatitis A)
- Hepatyrix (for hepatitis A and typhoid polysaccharide)
- Hiberix (for Haemophilus B)
- Infanrix (for diphtheria and tetanus toxoids and acellular pertussis)
- Infanrix IPV (for diphtheria, tetanus, pertussis (acellular, component) and poliomyelitis)
- Kinrix (for diphtheria and tetanus toxoids and acellular pertussis adsorbed and inactivated poliovirus)
- Menhibrix (for meningococcal groups C and Y and Haemophilus b tetanus toxoid conjugate)
- Menitorix (for Haemophilus influenzae type b and Neisseria meningitides group C (Hib-MenC))
- Menjugate (meningitis C)
- Menveo (meningitis ACWY)
- Pandemrix (for influenza)
- Pediarix (for diphtheria and tetanus toxoids and acellular pertussis, hepatitis B and inactivated poliovirus)
- Priorix (for measles, mumps, and rubella)
- Priorix tetra (measles, mumps, rubella, varicella/ chickenpox)
- Quinvaxem (Diptheria, Tetanus, whole-cell Pertussis– HiB – HepB)
- Rabipur (rabies)
- Rotarix (for human rotavirus)
- Shingrix (Zoster Vaccine Recombinant, Adjuvanted)
- Synflorix (for pneumococcal polysaccharide)
- Twinrix (for hepatitis A and hepatitis B)
- Typherix (for typhoid)
- Varilrix (for varicella/ chickenpox use by healthy adults and adolescents)
The above is a list of some of the vaccines that have been created by GSK.
Sports Supplements Products
GlaxoSmithKline is also involved in producing consumers’ sports nutrition products.
- Cyclone (Creatine supplement)
- ProMax (Whey protein supplement)
- Sculptress (Diet and weight management)
- FuelMax (Carbohydrate energy blend)
- Lean (Protein Dietary Blend)
This is a list of the sports supplements that have been produced by GSK.
GlaxoSmithKline offers a lot of opportunities for those looking for an internship, or seeking a graduate opportunity, next career move as an experienced professional. These offers give you an opportunity to be a part of the GSK organization that helps millions of people around the world to do more, feel better and live longer.
As earlier mentioned there are several areas of opportunity in the organization and they are;
- Research and development
- Manufacturing and supply
- Sales and marketing
Other opportunities in the organization include finance, human resources, legal, IT, procurement, communications, and core business services. These parts of the company provide essential support and services that make sure that GSK operates efficiently across the world.
To apply for any job opportunity in GSK, just type in the job type, location, area of interest into the search bar on the company’s web page. You can also create a personal account on the job search page. Creating this account would enable you to add or edit your details, view your application status, create and view saved job searches, receive email alerts, store and edit your cover letter, CV, and other supporting documents.
Present your relevant skills and tailor your CV to the role you are applying for in the company. Make sure to include an application letter, which contains the right balance of information you want to provide about you. The application should be more than one page but should not exceed three pages. You can include a cover letter as it is a good idea. Your cover letter should not describe specifically, how you meet the competencies and requirements for the role you are applying for.
Before an interview, your application and CV would have been reviewed by the company and you would be contacted over the phone to discuss. This is an assessment that will determine if you should be brought in for an interview. The interview could be through the phone or in person.
GlaxoSmithKline conducts research for major disease areas such as cancer, asthma, infections mental health and diabetes. Since GSK was founded, medicines that have been discovered or developed are:
- amoxicillin and amoxicillin-clavulanate, ticarcillin-clavulanate, mupirocin, and ceftazidime for bacterial infections.
- Zidovudine fir HIV infection.
- valacyclovir for herpes virus infections.
- albendazole for parasitic infections.
- sumatriptan for migraine, lamotrigine for epilepsy.
- bupropion and paroxetine for major depressive disorder.
- cimetidine and ranitidine for gastroesophageal reflux disorder.
- mercaptopurine and thioguanine for the treatment of leukaemia.
- allopurinol for gout.
- pyrimethamine for malaria.
- antibacterial trimethoprim.
Some of the drugs that have been discovered by GSK are on the World Health Organization’s list of essential medicines. These medicines are;
- trimethoprim, and
GlaxoSmithKline has also made an impact in making malaria vaccines.
The mission of GlaxoSmithKline is to improve human life by enabling people to do more, feel better, and live longer. In other to achieve this mission, the company adopts a business model and pursues a strategy that delivers sustainable performance through innovation and expanding access driven by our values.
GlaxoSmithKline takes responsibility for the health of each of its consumers, creating an inspiring and supportive work environment for its employees, bringing innovative medicines and moreover the counter healthcare products to people around the world and becoming the more patient focus.