How Do I Certify for Benefits? Are you seeking to get benefits from the EDD program, but don’t know how to submit your certification? Certifying for Unemployment Insurance benefits is a necessity if you must take part in the UI benefit. Follow this write-up to the end to gather all the information you need about certifying for EDD Unemployment Insurance Benefits.
How Do I Certify for Benefits?
For you to receive unemployment benefits, you must provide the EDD eligibility information every two weeks. This is known as certifying for benefits. Not only that, but candidates must also meet all weekly eligibility requirements. For further help answering the certification questions, review Unemployment Insurance Benefits: What You Need to Know (DE 1275B) (PDF).
Certifying Unemployment Insurance Benefits
For faster processing of your certifications and to avoid common errors with the paper claim form, please submit your certifications through UI Online or by phone through EDD Tele-Cert.
Once you stop certifying for benefits, you may need to reopen your claim. If your claim has expired, then you will need to file a new claim.
Take note of this: If you withhold or give false information to receive benefits, like not reporting work or wages, you are committing fraud. The penalties may include a loss of benefits, a false statement disqualification, and/or criminal prosecution.
Easy Ways to Certify for Benefits
You can submit your certification using one of the following:
- Online: UI Online
- By phone: EDD Tele-Cert.
- By mail: complete, sign, and mail the paper form.
However, for you to avoid common errors and reduce payment delays, it is best to certify online or by phone.
How to Certify Edd Ui Benefits with UI OnlineSM
UI Online Certification for Benefits is the fastest way to certify for benefits and report work and wages.
To get started, do this:
- Log on to Benefit Programs Online at https://edd.ca.gov/en/unemployment/ways-to-certify-ui-benefits/
- Choose UI Online
- Check the Notifications section of your homepage.
- If weeks are available, tap on Certify for Benefits and answer all questions. If no weeks are available, the system will tell you when to check again and will send you an email reminder.
You will receive a confirmation number after your certification has been successfully submitted. Keep this number for your records.”
UI Online Resources: You can do the following with UI Online
- Report Wages and Regular Earnings Using UI Online
- Report Entertainment Industry Earnings Using UI Online
- Certify for Continued Benefits Using UI Online
- Report Self-Employment and Commissions Using UI Online
- Report Bonuses, Pensions, and Other Types of Income Using UI Online
How To Certify For Benefits Using EDD Tele-CertSM
EDD Tele-Cert is a convenient and easy way to certify for UI benefits over the phone. Kindly follow these steps to request your benefits:
- Call the UI Automated Self-Service Line ( to find the number, click this link https://edd.ca.gov/en/unemployment/ways-to-certify-ui-benefits/
- Select Menu Option 1.
- Fill in your four-digit PIN. If you do not have one, the system will tell you how to create one.
- Provide answers to all certification questions and confirm your answers.
You will receive a confirmation number when your certification has been successfully submitted. These are steps for EDD certification by phone method.
How to Certify by Mail
If you certify for EDD unemployment benefits by mail, you must complete, sign, and mail a Continued Claim Form (DE 4581CTO) (PDF) to the EDD every two weeks. You will receive your first claim form within 10 days of the Employment Development Department (EDD) processing your application. However, additional claim forms will be mailed to you each time you need to certify for benefits.
EDD Unemployment Benefit Login
Log in to Benefit Programs Online and its outstanding online features. Benefit Programs Online provides access to these EDD services:
- Paid Family Leave
- Benefit overpayments
How To Login To Unemployment EDD Benefits
To sign in to your account, do this:
- Go to https://edd.ca.gov/en/unemployment/ways-to-certify-ui-benefits/
- Tap on the Benefits login button.
- Enter your email address.
- Tap on the login widget.
These are steps for EDD Benefits Login.
How to Register for an Unemployment Benefit Account
To sign up for an EDD Benefits online account, do this.
- Visit the EDD Benefits website at https://edd.ca.gov/en/unemployment/ways-to-certify-ui-benefits/
- Tap on the Benefits login button.
- Tap on Register now
- Follow the prompts to enter your email.
These are steps to sign up for an EDD Unemployment Insurance Benefits account.
EDD Unemployment Insurance (UI) Benefits Phone Number
To get your EDD phone number online, do this.
- Go to the EDD website at https://edd.ca.gov/en/unemployment/ways-to-certify-ui-benefits/
- Scroll down the page and click on the Contact EDD link.
- Select a topic to access the phone number available for that topic.
How To Find The EDD Office Online
With the EDD office locator, you can find the nearest EDD office.
- Visit https://edd.ca.gov/en/unemployment/ways-to-certify-ui-benefits/
- Tap on the office Locator tab beneath the page.
- Go ahead to find the nearest EDD website.
How do I certify my EDD benefits?
You can certify with UI Online. UI Online is the fastest way to certify for benefits and report work and wages. To get started, log in to Benefit Programs Online and choose UI Online. Then, check the Notifications section of your homepage.
How long does it take the EDD to certify benefits?
To receive your benefit payments, it takes at least three weeks to process a claim for unemployment benefits and issue a payment to most eligible workers.
How long after certifying do I get paid?
If you certify over the phone, your payment will be deposited onto your EDD Debit CardSM within 24 hours. But, if you submitted your certification by mail and/or requested your benefit payments by check, it takes 10 days for processing.