How Many Subscribers Does Disney Plus Have? Disney+ attracted a whopping 10 million subscribers on its debut day, but in a surprising twist, it has seen a decline of 4 million subscribers in the initial quarter of 2023.

How Many Subscribers Does Disney Plus Have?
How Many Subscribers Does Disney Plus Have?

How Many Subscribers Does Disney Plus Have?

This is the platform’s second straight quarterly decline. So, what does the future hold for this streaming behemoth as we advance through 23?

Important Disney+ Subscriber Stats

  • Disney+ had 157.8 million subscribers as of Q2 2023. That is a drop of 4 million subscribers from the previous quarter.
  • Disney+ has registered revenue of $4.01 billion in 2023 so far.
  • Its global average monthly revenue per paid subscriber is $4.44, an increase of $0.51 from the previous quarter.
  • The ARPU in the US and Canada is $5.95.
  • Since its release, Disney+ has been downloaded over 200 million times.
  • Disney+ is expected to overtake Netflix as the most popular SVOD service on the globe by 2026.
  • In the summer of 2022, Disney+ launched in a total of 42 countries and 11 regions across Europe, the Middle East, and Africa.
  • Disney+ projects to have 230–260 million users by 2024 and around 290 million by 2026.
  • Disney Plus has 7,000 television series episodes and 500 films available globally.

Disney+ Subscribers Worldwide

Disney+ currently has 157.8 million paying subscribers across 59 countries. This number makes it the second-biggest SVOD service in the world. Disney+ witnessed a drop of 4 million subscribers in the first quarter of 2023. That’s the second time the platform has seen a drop in subscriber growth since its launch in 2019. In 2022, Disney+ will attract 46.1 million customers. 10 million users joined the platform on the launch day itself (12 November 2019).

  • Q4 2019: 10 million
  • Q1 2020: 5 million
  • Q2 2020: 5 million
  • Q3 2020 5 million
  • Q4 2020: 7 million
  • Q1 2021: 9 million
  • Q2 2021: 6 million
  • Q3 2021 116 million
  • Q4 2021: 1 million
  • Q1 2022: 8 million
  • Q2 2022: 7 million
  • Q3 2022: 1 million
  • Q4 2022: 2 million
  • Q1 2023: 8 million
  • Q2 2023: 8 million

Disney+ US Subscription Revenue

This platform has generated revenue of $4.01 billion in 2023 so far. Disney+ generated revenue of $7.423 billion in 2022. That is $2.13 billion more than last year. Disney Plus registered revenue of $5.293 billion in 2021. As Disney+ strives for market dominance in the worldwide streaming industry, it is solidly in the investment phase.

Disney+’s Average Revenue Per User

Disney Plus earns $4.44 US per paying subscriber each month as of Q2 2023. Disney Plus’ average ARPU was $4.25 in 2022. This mostly has to do with the Disney+ expansion since 2019. Pricing in certain areas is much lower than in the United States or Western Europe.

Disney+ Users as Per Their Age

The age demographic that accounts for 68% of its users includes users under 35 years old. The other 32% represent users aged 35 and older. Disney Plus isn’t merely focused on the children’s demographic. It’s more family-focused than child-centric. Most Disney Plus subscribers are families. That said, about 45% of Disney Plus users are under 18 years old. Disney Plus has been developing more content geared towards adults over 18.

Disney+ Users Based on Location

45% of Disney+ users come from suburban areas. And 38% come from urban areas. Disney+ has 20% of users coming from rural areas. If we combine the population of the USSR from urban and suburban areas, it adds up to 80%. The ethnicity demographics show that the service is 71% white or Caucasian, 15% Hispanic, 9% black, 2% Asian, and 3% other.

Seven out of ten views are white, representing over 70% of its viewership across the globe. There is no data regarding the lack of diversity in this demographic yet. It’s still a young video streaming platform, so its demographics are still changing. It’s also fair to say that the COVID-19 pandemic aided in the growth of Disney Plus, as did the major Netflix skid in late 2021.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here