How To Turn on Subtitles on Disney Plus? Like other streaming services like Netflix or Prime Video, Disney Plus or (Disney+) allows you to enable subtitles while watching content. This feature is for those who are hearing impaired.
But they can also be helpful if you’re paying close attention to a film and want to know every word uttered. So, here’s a look at how to enable subtitles or turn them off while using Disney Plus.
How To Turn on Subtitles on Disney Plus
Subtitles are great for all sorts of reasons. Whether you need them for accessibility purposes, are learning a new language, or want to catch every line of dialogue, you can use subtitles on nearly every movie and TV show on Disney Plus. In this article, we’re going to show you how to enable and disable subtitles on Disney+, plus how to customize their appearance.
Managing Disney Subtitles on a Roku Device
- While your movie or show is playing, press the asterisk button on the Roku remote.
- When the Options tab appears, select Closed Captioning and press OK on the remote.
- Choose On Replay, Off, or On Always.
- Press the Back arrow on the remote or wait for the Options panel to disappear.
Managing Disney Subtitles on an Android
- While your video is playing, tap the screen.
- An icon of a box with lines at the bottom will appear on the right. Tap it.
- On the right side of the screen, under Subtitles, choose the language option that you want.
How to turn Disney Plus subtitles on or off on an iPhone
- Open the settings app on your iPhone or iPad.
- Tap Accessibility.
- Select subtitles and captioning.
- Turn on or off subtitles and close captions.
- Select Style to select a preset style or set a new style, including font, size, color, and opacity.
Managing Disney Subtitles on a PC
This method assumes you’re accessing Disney Plus via a browser. If so, the streaming service has the same interface, regardless of the operating system and the computer you’re using.
- To enable or disable the subtitles, click on the menu icon in the main window’s upper-right section.
- This process brings you to the Audio & Subtitles menu, where you can also choose the preferred language.
Disney Subtitles on a Smart TV (Samsung, LG, Panasonic, Sony, Vizio)
Installing and using Disney Plus directly on your smart TV is great, but how do you manage the subtitles? Below, you’ll find tips for some of the most popular smart TV brands.
- Launch the Disney Plus app, select the content you want to watch, and hit the play button.
- Now, press the Up arrow twice to open the language box in the upper right of the screen and navigate via the remote.
- Press the Select button and go to the Audio and Subtitle menu.
- Under Subtitles, choose Off or select the subtitle language you’d like to use.
- Get your LG remote and hit the home button.
- Select the setting cog at the upper-right part of the screen.
- Proceed to Accessibility, then choose Subtitle.
- Ensure the Subtitles section is highlighted, and then choose to disable or enable subtitles. This action turns on subtitles for the TV.
Next, you need to launch the app for any content you’d like to watch and repeat the steps.
Turning the subtitles on and off is done via the Panasonic remote. There’s a dedicated button, and it’s labeled STTL/AD or STTL. The button’s positioning may vary, but it’s usually in the middle of the remote, just above the Vol and CH rockers.
Pressing the button might instantly turn the subtitles on and off. But with some newer models, it activates the subtitle menu with more options. If you want to disable or enable them, navigate to the corresponding section and make a selection. Finally, make sure the subtitles within Disney Plus are enabled as well.
- Grab the remote and hit the home button.
- Go to Settings.
- Select Subtitle
- Once inside, select the Digital Setup option and press the central button to confirm.
- Navigate to the subtitle setup and press the central button again. You can now set the subtitle preference for the smart TV and do the same with Disney Plus.
- Press the Home button twice if you want to go back to the last content source.
- Press the Menu button on the Vizio remote, usually located above the navigation rockers in the device’s upper section, to activate the subtitles.
- Use the arrows to reach the Closed Captions option, and hit the OK button to confirm. You can use the left and right arrows inside the menu to toggle subtitles off and on.
- The Closed Captions menu also features analog and digital closed captions and digital Styles. For your intentions and purposes, it’s best to keep these defaults.
Amazon Fire TV
- Choose a Disney Plus movie or a show you want to watch.
- Press the Up button on your Fire TV remote or the Fire App to show the menu icon.
- You should see the subtitle option under the menu pane. Select Subtitles.
- Select to turn the subtitle on or off for Disney Plus on Firestick.
- While your movie or show is playing, swipe up or down on your remote. If you have a second or third-generation Apple TV, hold down the center button instead.
- Select the settings icon in the lower-right corner.
- In the Audio and Subtitles menu, choose Subtitles. Select the language you want (or choose Off), then press the Back button on the remote to return to your movie.
How to Turn on or Off Disney Plus Subtitles on Chromecast
- While your Disney title is playing, tap the mouse on your screen.
- Click the menu icon that appears.
- Select the Off option under Subtitles when the preferred audio or subtitle options pop up.
- Tap OK or the X icon to continue Disney Plus streaming.
How to Turn on or Off Disney Plus Subtitles on Game Consoles
- Go to the Disney Plus app on your Xbox One console.
- Select a movie or show you’d like to play.
- Press the right bumper on the Xbox One controller to get video player control options.
- Select CC from the options.
- Choose the subtitle language, such as English. Now, the subtitles are turned on when watching Disney Plus content on Xbox One. It’s quite the same as turning subtitles off for Disney Plus content on Xbox One.
PlayStation 4/PlayStation 5
- Open the Disney Plus app.
- Go to settings
- Select Accessibility
- Select Display Closed Captions. Choose Closed Caption Settings.
- Uncheck the box next to Display Closed Captions as Specified by Content to adjust the closed-caption style. Or just use the default settings “Display Closed Captions as Specified by Content”.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I change the subtitle language?
The quick answer is yes; you can, and you already know how to do it. When you get inside the Audio & Subtitles menu, use the arrow keys on your remote to navigate right. Then choose the preferred language from the list and check it. Most of the Disney Plus content supports more than twenty different subtitle languages. However, some exotic fonts and letters might not be available. Anyway, you should see the subtitle language preview as soon as you make the selection.
How to Fix Disney Plus Subtitles Not Working
Have you ever encountered the Disney Plus subtitles not working issue? How do I fix this issue? If you have this problem someday, don’t worry, and try working through these troubleshooting steps.
- Check and reset your Internet.
- Restart the Disney Plus app or reload the web page.
- Restart your device.
- Update your Disney Plus app to the latest version.
- Clear cache data.
- Reinstall the Disney Plus app.
- Try another movie or use another device.