The Japanese Government Mext Scholarship Application is available online next. If you are looking to study in Japan with a scholarship, MEXT accepts applications from foreign students for study in Japan who meet the scholarship qualifications and conditions.
This article will reveal important information about the Mext 2023 Scholarship, including requirements, qualifications, application steps, and more.
Japanese Government Mext Scholarship Application
Before unveiling the application steps for the Mext Japanese Scholarship, it would be good to know what the scholarship is all about.
The Japanese MEXT Scholarship 2023–2024 is a fully funded scholarship program designed for international students. This scholarship is available for undergraduate, master’s, Ph.D., and training studies. The MEXT scholarship will cover candidates’ tuition fees, accommodation, monthly living allowance, and round-trip airfare expenses from their country to Japan.
MEXT Scholarship Program 2023
The Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science, and Technology (MEXT) of Japan gives scholarships to foreign students who wish to study at Japanese universities as undergraduate or research (master or Ph.D.) students under the Japanese Government (MEXT) Scholarships Program.
As usual, the application cycle for the MEXT Japanese Government Scholarship is announced in April. Knowledge of the Japanese language and IELTS/TOEFL is not mandatory for this scholarship.
MEXT Scholarship 2023/2024 Summary
Level of Study: Undergraduate / Masters / PhD / Training
Institution(s): Japanese Universities
Study in: Japan
Offering all types of courses offered in all Japanese universities, from Social Science to Engineering, Medical to Health, Arts and Humanities, etc. There are no academic field restrictions with this program.
Scholarship Program Period: for Undergraduate: 4-5 Years, Masters: 2-3 Years, Ph.D.: 3-4 Years
MEXT Scholarship Deadline: Varies from Embassy to Embassy
Eligibility Criteria for Japanese Government MEXT Scholarship 2023
To qualify for the MEXT Scholarship, a candidate must meet all of the following requirements:
Required Language: English
Eligible Countries: All world countries
Applicants must have the nationality of a country that has diplomatic relations with Japan.
An applicant who has Japanese nationality at the time of application is not qualified.
For Undergraduate Students: Candidates must be at least 17 and under 25 years of age and have completed 12 years of school education or have completed courses in a school comparable to a high school (includes prospective graduates)
For Masters and Ph.D. students: Applicants must be under 35 years of age and be college graduates (including prospective graduates). Or you must have completed 16 years or 18 years of education.
For Teacher training students: Candidates must be under 35 years of age and a graduate of a college or teacher training college. You must have at least 5 years of active experience as a teacher in a primary, secondary, or teacher-training college in your country.
For Japanese Study Students: Candidates must be 18 to 30 years old. And must be enrolled as undergraduate students in faculties or schools that major in Japanese language or Japanese culture in a university outside Japan at the time when they come to Japan and must be enrolled in the home institution at the time when they return to their home countries.
Documents Required for MEXT Scholarship 2023
Here are the documents you need to apply for this scholarship:
- MEXT Scholarship Application Form
- The highest degree is verified with official stamps. Master’s program applicants: 12 years of education; Master’s program applicants: Bachelor’s degree; Ph.D. program applicants: Master’s degree A notarized copy of a translation into English is required if the degree is not in English.
- Highest degree Transcript verified with official stamps (including grading system) Bachelor’s program applicants: 12 years of education; Master’s program applicants: Bachelor’s degree Transcripts, Ph.D. program applicants: Master’s degree Transcripts
- Two recommendation letters: The letters must be written by the applicant’s teachers, advisors, or employers (who are able to evaluate your academic performance and research potential) in either English or French. (For research students)
- Passport Scan (if available at the time of application)
- Curriculum Vitae (CV) (for research students)
- Study plan/Statement of purpose The study plan is written in English. It should include your motivation for applying, your educational or research background, and your plans to study at APU. (For research students)
- English Language Proficiency Document: For students whose language institute was in English, they can submit an English Proficiency Certificate from their home university and they are exempted from the Language Test.
- Academic theses or relevant publications (for research students)
There are other reference documents (if applicable).
How to Apply for MEXT Scholarship 2023
Please follow the following application instructions to apply for the MEXT Scholarship:
- Find the Japanese Embassy or Consulate of your country by clicking on this link: https://www.mofa.go.jp/about/emb_cons/over/index.html
- On the website of the Japanese Embassy in your country. Under the Education/Scholarship tab, you will find the MEXT scholarship.
- Then download the MEXT scholarship application form and fill it out.
- After filling out the form, submit the required documents to the Japanese Embassy of your country.
- The Japanese Embassy will conduct a written text.
- The next is an interview.
The successful applicants will be informed through email or the embassy website.
MEXT Scholarship Coverage/Benefits
The MEXT Scholarship 2023 will provide the recipient with the following benefits:
- Monthly Stipend Allowance, Preparatory Allowance (2023 Rate)
- Fees for the Entrance Examination and tuition fees at universities will be paid by MEXT.
- MEXT will pay for your round-trip airfare from your country to Japan. The airline ticket will be an economy-class ticket for the flight.
- Residence halls for foreign or international students are provided by universities.
How do I apply for the MEXT scholarship in Japan?
How to Apply for MEXT Scholarship 2023?
- Find the Japanese Embassy or Consulate of your country here: https://www.mofa.go.jp/about/emb_cons/over/index.html
- Visit the website of the Japanese Embassy in your country.
- Download the MEXT scholarship application form and fill in the required details.
- Submit the documents to the Japanese Embassy of your country.
What is the deadline for MEXT Scholarship 2022?
The Mext 2022 Scholarship Application is closed. If you are interested in this scholarship, please proceed by following the application schedule and guidelines for MEXT Scholarship 2023.
Is the MEXT scholarship for 2023 open?
The application for the 2023 scholarship will open in early 2023 or late 2022. A grantee who studies at a preparatory educational institution before enrolling in a university: The scholarship period will last for 5 years from April 2023 to March 2028, including a one-year preparatory education in the Japanese language and other subjects due to be provided upon arrival in Japan.
Can I apply for MEXT in Japan?
MEXT accepts applications from international students for study in Japan who satisfy the scholarship qualifications and conditions.
Is MEXT open for 2022?
The application for the 2022 MEXT Japanese Studies Scholarship is now closed. The application for the 2023 scholarship will open in early 2023.