Applications are on for Kenya Film Commission Empowerment Programme 2020. The Kenya Film Commission in line with its mandate and function of promoting the development of local content and establishing a film fund proposes to establish a film empowerment program that will provide film and video-related funding in the broad categories of;
- Development (of feature films, documentaries, and TV Concepts);
- Production (of feature films and documentaries).
- Film Festivals and Marketing.
The aim of this program is the increase the number of quality locals films that are made. Individuals, companies, and organizations will be required to submit funding applications to the Commission in any of the four funding categories identified above.
Kenya Film Commission Empowerment Programme 2020
Specific conditions will be applicable in each funding category, and it shall be important for applicants to take careful note of these conditions before submitting an application.
Proposals will be accepted for film funding once throughout the year from 1st July 2020 to 30th June 2021. In each category of funding, only one application per organization, individual, or company will be considered.
Funding may take the form of a grant, investment, or loan. In addition to financial assistance, support mechanisms will be made available once funding is approved. Funding allocation to selected projects will vary according to the specific cash flow needs of the project.
The deadline for the program application is 18th December 2020.
A selected committee of eminent filmmakers approved by the board will go through all the applications and will make the final decision on projects that will qualify for funding as mandated by the Kenya film Commission guidelines/funding policy.
While each category of funding will have its own specific criteria, the ultimate goal will be to ensure that filmmakers ranging from emerging to experienced benefit equitably from the film industry empowerment program funds.
The selection committee should comprise of KFC Board reps, KFC select Officials, Experienced industry stakeholders.
The Commission will consider development as any work undertaken to put an idea or concept into writing with an intention of creating a script including research undertaken in a documentary, a short or a feature film whether fiction or real life.
The Commission may also provide financial support to the development of television concepts that can be formatted, sold globally, and licensed for remake rights or for syndication.
Who Should Apply?
- Independent production companies whole hold exclusive rights or options for at least twelve 12 months.
- Writers that are attached to a project.
For all applicants:
- Completed application form.
- A covering letter of motivation.
- Treatment Chain of Title and Proof of copyright in an instance where the work is not the original idea of the applicant and letters of commitment from public figures in documentaries.
- Writer’s Curriculum Vitae.
- Producer’s Curriculum Vitae.
- Development budget which contains the following line items: Script editors; Research; Copies; Producer fee (where appropriate) – this should not exceed 10% of the total budget; Overheads which should not exceed 5.5% of total budget excluding the Producer fee.
- Development Schedule.
- Production plan.
- Writers narrative treatment.
- Target audience/distribution plan.
- Track record of production company where applicable.
- Company registration document to prove company ownership where applicable.
- Proof of Kenyan identity.
Development Funding applicants also require:
- Concept Outline (which contains a unique feature of concept, universal dramatic theme, international adaptation potential, the longevity of concept, and legal protection or copyright).
- Development plan.
For more information; visit the official site of the Programme
- To apply for Development funding Click Here
- To apply for Production, Click Here
- To apply for Marketing and Festivals, click here
Applica ants need to fill and complete the application form and send it to email@example.com.