The Leiden University Mandela Scholarships 2021/2022 For South African Students is now open! The Mandela Scholarship Fund is supported by Leiden University. This attracts and helps excellent students in South Africa for this 2021/2022 academic session. This fund is used to pursue a master’s and bachelor’s degree coursework.
Talented students receive this funding award; not just that. They have to be students who intend to return to South Africa, in order to contribute greatly to the development of society after their study at Leiden University.
About Leiden University
Founded in the year, 1575, Universiteit Leiden (Leiden University) is a non-profit public higher education institution. It is situated in the urban area of the town of Leiden, South Holland. This University also had branch campuses in The Hague. Officially recognized by the Ministerie van Onderwijis, Cultuur en Wetenschap, Nederland (Ministry of Education, Culture and Science, Netherlands), the Leiden University is a large higher education institution.
It offers programs and courses that lead to officially accredited higher educational degrees. They include master’s degrees, doctorate degrees, bachelor degrees in different areas of study. This 444-year-old higher institution possesses a selective admission policy that depends on past academic grades and records of students.
Note that international applicants can apply for this program.
Benefits of the Leiden University Mandela Scholarships 2021/2022 For South African Students
There are certain benefits that come with this scholarship. Let’s check them out. This scholarship includes;
- Tuition fees for a semester study (if applicable).
- Living allowance
- Exchange students are not included in the tuition fees on the platform of the exchange agreement.
- The insurance is sponsored by the AON student insurance and is arranged by the Leiden University’s Scholarship Team.
These are the benefits that winners get. Let’s move on, as you get to find out the requirements to keep you eligible for the program.
OTHER SCHOLARSHIP PROGRAMS >>> Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program 2021-22 for Masters Studies at McGill University (Fully-funded)
- Eligible Countries – applicants from South Africa are eligible to apply for this scholarship program.
- Admission Eligibility Criteria – in order to be eligible, you have to meet up with the following requirements;
- The interested applicant must be a student at a South African University.
- You must have the intention to contribute towards the effective development of South Africa.
- Acceptable Subjects and Courses – students gain scholarships into the following courses/programs; Archaeology, Humanities, Medicine / LUMC, Law, Science, Social and Behavioral Sciences, Governance and Global Affairs, International Institute for Asian Studies, Interfaculty Center for Teacher Training, Educational Development and In-Service Training (ICLON).
This part of the article will be walking you through every process to ensure that you understand the application process.
How to Apply
- You have to submit an online application for an exchange/study abroad course at Leiden University.
- After being admitted to your preferred course, you have to fill in the Mandela Scholarship Application Form.
- Submit this complete form as a scanned email attachment to this address; [email protected]. Make sure to include the following documents;
- Exchange/study abroad admission letter from the Leiden University
- Your recent transcript of records from your South African University
- Photocopy of your passport(s)
- A letter of scholarship motivation
- Up-to-date CV
- Two (2) original letters of recommendation (one of these letters should be from an academic staff member)
- Documents showing all other grants you may have applied for
- A proof of sufficient money to support yourself in the Netherlands, as the Mandela Scholarship does not really cover all expenses. This could take the form of;
- A recent bank statement having your name
- A statement showing that your parents have the financial stability to support you
- Student grant letter showing you the amount and duration of the grant
You can also visit the official student website for more details on living costs.
- The selection committee reviews all the applications and select the candidates based on academic merit, prospects, and your motivation toward your future contribution to the development of South Africa.
- Candidates will get the information of the outcome from the Scholarships Team;
- In June, for the programs starting in September
- In November, for the programs starting in February
- 1st October 2020 for programs starting in February 2021
- 1st April 2020 for programs starting in September 2021
These are the complete details for the Leiden University Mandela Scholarships 2021/2022 For South African Students.