The Mastercard Foundation AfOx Scholarship 2022-2023 post-graduate program is now open. The Mastercard Foundation AfOx Scholarship program supports passionate, locally rooted, and globally minded African young people to undertake graduate studies at the University of Oxford.
Mastercard Foundation AfOx Scholarship 2023 Postgraduate Program
The Scholarship is part of the broader AfOx Graduate Scholars Program, which aims to support African students to access opportunities at Oxford and to thrive both during and after their time at the University.
Things to know About Mastercard Foundation AfOx Scholarship 2023 Postgraduate Program
“The University of Oxford and the Mastercard Foundation have an innovative and ambitious partnership under the Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program and the Africa Oxford Initiative (AfOx).
The partnership is set to provide 400 young African scholars with a fully-funded opportunity to pursue Masters Degrees in programs related to pandemic preparedness and recovery at the University of Oxford.”
The Scholarship funds a rigorous one-year taught Master’s course at Oxford. It was hoped to equip the Scholars with relevant technical, entrepreneurial, and leadership skills and connect them to world-leading resources in their respective sectors.
The main aspects of the scholarship program include adequate support and preparation for students to take up their studies, intensive emphasis on life skills beyond academia, and support for a lifelong network of alumni.
Each Scholar will benefit from the highest calibre training in specific disciplines critical to solving pressing problems, including food systems, health sciences, sustainable water and energy systems, governance and public policy, entrepreneurship, and many others.
Their programs will centre the four AfOx themes relevant to Africa’s Agenda 2063 and the Sustainable Development Goals: Healthy People, Integrated Societies, Green Futures, and Innovation for Prosperity.
A significant and resourceful aspect of the program is the “Ubuntu period of service” undertaken upon completion of the Master’s degree.
During the second year of the Program, the Scholars will be funded and encouraged to design and deliver impactful projects based on African organisations, which could include launching start-ups and working in multinational development agencies, governments, NGOs, or research institutions.
Eligible Candidates for the Scholarship
The Mastercard Foundation AfOx Scholarship enables students from;
- All African countries to pursue graduate studies at the University of Oxford.
- All students with an African nationality and residence who receive a conditional offer from the University will be eligible for the scholarship.
- The scholarship specifically focuses on groups who have historically been under-represented, including but not limited to female scholars, people from refugee and displaced backgrounds, and scholars with accessibility needs.
This full-cost scholarship is available to Master’s students, covering tuition fees and living expenses for international students. The scholarship also provides logistics support, including an economy return flight, visa and Immigration Health Surcharge fees, settling down allowance, and access to a Thrive Fund for emergencies.
Mastercard Foundation AfOx Scholarships Program Schedule
The first year includes a rigorous academic Master’s course at Oxford and a Leadership and Impact Programme, which support the scholars in developing collaborative leadership qualities needed to build cross-sector, interdisciplinary solutions to address complex social and environmental problems.
After completing their Master’s Program, Scholars will be supported to take up 4-6 months placements in leading Africa-based organisations for their Ubuntu Period of Service.
The scholars will work on initiatives in Africa, receiving mentoring from leading Africa-based academics and practitioners, enabling the Scholars to develop pathways to building impactful careers in Africa.
- The Scholars will benefit from a bespoke Leadership and Impact Program delivered in partnership with the Skoll Centre for Social Enterprise and tailored academic and social support throughout their studies.
- Scholars will join the AfOx Alumni Network, where they can continue to draw on and contribute to the community of African Scholars linked to the University of Oxford.
- The Scholars will have access to mentorship and career support from AfOx Research and Innovation Fellows and the more comprehensive AfOx network of research leaders and entrepreneurs.
Requirements for Mastercard Foundation AfOx Scholarships
The Mastercard Foundation AfOx Scholarship enables students from all African countries to pursue graduate studies at the University of Oxford. All students with an African nationality and residence who receive a conditional offer from the University will be eligible for the scholarship. To be considered for this scholarship;
- Submit your application to the University of Oxford via the Graduate Admissions portal before the deadline for your chosen course of study and indicate that you wish to apply for AfOx funding.
- Read the Application Guide in detail before bringing the application.
- Submit your application form and all of your supporting documents at least a week before the earliest deadline for your course.
- The Oxford University Masters application fee of £75 is waived upon request for many low-income countries – refer to the application fee waiver section. Forthcoming applicants can apply to the Afrisoc Mentoring Program for support with Oxford Applications and potential fee waivers for countries not eligible for the fee waiver. If you have any concerns about the application fee, please email [email protected] before you submit your application.
- Eligible candidates who receive a conditional offer from their course will be then invited to apply for the AfOx Graduate Scholarship Program. All invited candidates will be expected to fill in the AfOx Graduate Scholarship questionnaire during the application process.
- Shortlisted candidates will be interviewed virtually before decisions are made, and the timelines will be communicated at the interview stage.
The Mastercard Foundation AfOx Scholarship application deadline differs depending on your course. Some deadlines are in December, January, or March. There are some with multiple deadlines, so if the first deadline has closed use the second deadline to apply.
Visit the course page, click on the course you want to apply for, and see the course application deadline.
How do I apply for a graduate course?
When are Oxford scholarships awarded to graduate applicants?
A scholarship may be awarded either at the same time or after you are offered a place by your department.
Successful candidates will normally be notified by email. If you have not heard from us by the dates indicated in the scholarship information, then please assume that you have been unsuccessful. Due to the volume of applications we receive, we are unable to contact unsuccessful applicants individually or provide feedback.
When do I hear whether or not I have been offered a place on an undergraduate degree course?
You will receive an email or letter to either invite you to an interview or to inform you that you are no longer being considered.
Also, an interview timetable can be found near the time on the interviews section of our website.
If you are interviewed, you will be notified of the outcome of your application. You will also be contacted by the college considering your application. More information about this process, and the types of offer you may receive, is available on our decisions page.
- 15 Wedding Anniversary Gifts to Buy for Your Husband in November 2022
- 20 Best Birthday Gifts for Your Wife in 2022
- Brown & Brown Guest Survey at www.BBlistens.com
- Commerce Bank Customer Experience Survey
- Mazzio’s Customer Loyalty Index Survey 2022