Applications for the Michael Jacobs Travel Chronicle Scholarship 2024 are open now. Following Michael Jacobs’s passing in 2014, the Michael Jacobs Travel Chronicle Scholarship was initiated by the Gabo Foundation and the Hay Festival in Cartagena de Indias.
Michael Jacobs Travel Chronicle Scholarship 2024
A new edition of the call was launched this year to mark the tenth anniversary of the writer’s passing. It is supported by the Michael Jacobs Foundation for Travel Writing, a nonprofit established by Michael’s brother and widow to carry on their brother’s legacy and encourage travel writing in Spain and Latin America.
Prize for the Michael Jacobs Travel Chronicle Scholarship 2024
- The winner will receive an invitation to serve on the jury for the following Michael Jacobs Travel Journalism Fellowship.
- $10,000 is awarded to the winner as a financial incentive to help with the research and writing of their book or article. The sum covers the convening institutions’ and the beneficiary’s share of the taxes. Half of the funding ($5,000) will be given out when the winner is revealed, and the remaining $5,000 will be given when the project is completed and submitted to a publisher for publication.
Writers and journalists of any nationality are welcome to apply, provided that their work focuses on Spanish- or English-language travel journalism in Latin America or Spain.
- A thorough overview of the project (article or book), including the work schedule, travel schedule, and project description Either Spanish or English must be used to write the article or book. The grant aims to support an ongoing project; thus, the project need not be completed, but the authors must submit at least a portion of it because the jury will be assessing the writers’ ability to tell a compelling story.
- A maximum of 800 words (in English or Spanish) should be included in your autobiography, outlining your background as a travel writer and the reasons behind your scholarship application. Traditional resumes will not be taken into consideration.
Only online registrations will be valid. Applications are open until Friday, December 15, 2023.
- The deadline for receipt of applications is December 15, 2023.
Open this link for more details.