Applications for the Paul Celan Fellowship for Translators 2024 are open now. The Paul Celan Fellowship Program seeks to bridge gaps and imbalances that resulted from the twentieth-century partition of Europe in the flow of ideas and the acceptance of scholarly literature.
Paul Celan Fellowship for Translators 2024 (EUR 3,000 Stipend)
Translations from Western to Eastern, Eastern to Western, or between two Eastern European languages of classic texts and modern important works in the humanities, social sciences, and cultural studies are supported by this program. Translations of pertinent works by women scholars and/or authors from East Europe are given special attention. A conceptual connection to one of the IWM’s research areas is also appreciated.
- A monthly stipend of EUR 3,000 is provided to fellows to cover all living expenses while they are residing in Vienna. The IWM also gives the fellows free use of an office with internet access, internal space for study and administration, and other amenities. Fellowships typically begin on the first and terminate on the last day of each month.
- Note that fiction and poetry will not be accepted.
- Open to European translators.
- All application materials should be in English.
Application for the Paul Celan Fellowship for Translators 2024
Included in the application materials are the following:
- A project proposal that includes a work strategy, methodologies, state-of-the-art, and objectives should not exceed 7,500 characters (spaces included).
- A synopsis of the project (limit 550 characters)
- A succinct motivation letter outlining the project’s potential benefits from time spent at the IWM, its connection to the organization’s mission and research, and specific goals for writing and research during the fellowship
- A resume is accompanied by a list of translated works and other pertinent publications in the bibliography.
- An agreement or publisher’s letter of intent.
- Evidence that the translator or publisher is the owner of the translation rights and has the option to publish it.
Important! Attached documents must be combined into a single PD, as the online submission form only allows for one attachment. File names of attachments must use Latin characters.
Application Deadline: February 4, 2024