What are the School Stages in Canada? Are you interested in studying in Canada, or do you want to enroll your loved ones in Canada? If yes, in this article you’ll discover the education system in Canada and its stages.
Canada is one of the countries that have great educational qualities, both for elementary, secondary, vocational, and Tertiary studies. There are both private and public schools, here, parents can decide on which school to enroll their children in.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE THIS: UCLA Law School Admission Requirements: Apply now for Law School at UCLA
What are the School Stages in Canada
However, to learn the educational stages in CA, including the grades, the age of children for each grade, read the section under. Here are the education stages in Canada.
- Elementary: 1–6 grade, 6–12 years old for 6 years.
- Alberta Elementary School: 1–6 Grade, 6–12 years old- for 6 years.
- British Columbia Elementary School: 1–6 grade, 6–12 years old – for 6 years.
- Manitoba Elementary School: 1–6 grade, 6–12 years old- for 6 years.
- New Brunswick Elementary School: 1–5 grade, 6–11 years old- for 5 years.
- Newfoundland and Labrador Elementary School: 1–6grade, 6–12years old- for a period of 5years.
- Ontario Elementary School: 1–5grade, 6–11 years old- for the period of 5 years.
- PEI Elementary School: 1–6 grade, 6–12 years old- for the period of 6 years.
- Northwest Territories Elementary School: 1–6 grade, 6–12 years old- for the period of 6 years.
- Nova Scotia Elementary School: 1–6grade, 6–12 years old- for the period of 6 years.
- Quebec Elementary School: 1–6grade, 6–12 years old- for the period of 6 years.
- Saskatchewan Elementary School: 1–5grade, 6–11 years old- for the period of 5 years.
- Yukon Elementary School: 1–7grade, 6–13 years old- for the period of 7 years.
Junior Secondary School
- Intermediate – Middle School: 7–9 grade, 12–15 years old- for the period of 3years.
- Alberta Junior High School: 7–9grade, 12–15 years for the period of 3 years.
- British Columbia Junior High School: 7–9 grade, 12–15 years old- for the period of 3years.
- High School – Secondary School: 10–12 grade, 15–18 years- for the period of 3years.
Vocational Technical Programs
- 2 Year Pre-University Program, typically Social Sciences, Natural Sciences, or Arts.
- Three-Year Professional Program. Paralegal, Dental Hygienist, Nursing, etc.
- Bachelor’s Degree: 13–16 grade (3 – 4-year program).
- Master’s Degree 16–18 grade (1 -2-year programs).
- Tertiary Doctorate 3years.
Stage1: Primary Education
In CA, education is both privately and publicly funded, and parents and children can decide on the schools they want to enroll in. In primary education, moderating is done by provinces, though approaches may vary in nuance, standards are universally high.
Younger children mostly spend 1 – 2 years voluntarily in kindergarten. Then, children who are 6 years old are enrolled for 6 years of compulsory primary school education.
Stage2: Secondary Education
At the secondary school education level there is no distinction between middle and high school. Some youngsters finish their school education through to grade 12, whereafter they may move ahead to vocational or tertiary studies. However, the CAs academic year runs from September through to June, though in some cases January admissions are allowed.
Stage 3: Vocational Education
In line with the secondary school educational system, students with a practical take on life prefer to continue with vocational education. It offers a range from individual courses through to technician and artisan training that takes up to 2 – 3 years.
Stage 4: Tertiary Education
CAS Education is justifiably proud of its universities and colleges. Although, there is no formal ranking system and choices are often based on geographic convenience and the reputation of a particular course.
Furthermore, among the 36 universities in CA, 8 are privately funded and 1 (Montreal) uses French as the medium of instruction. And students from across the world come to CA for their tertiary education, and also Canadian degrees are recognized everywhere.