What Engine Does my Car Have? As we all know the engine is a very important part of the vehicle, the engine is like the heart of the vehicle. That is why it is important for you to know the kind of engine that your car has. For more information, you will have to continue reading this article, because in this article we will be giving you the required information and everything you need to know about.
A vehicle’s engine is an important factor in its overall valuation. For example, some companies producing cars and even the insurance companies use the type of engine you have to determine the cost of the car’s insurance premiums, while banks use it in determining a car’s loan value.
What Engine Does my Car Have?
The engine of a vehicle is a part that changes or converts the energy of the fuel into mechanical energy and then makes sure power is available and makes the vehicle move. It can be unexpectedly hard to know the kind of engine you have, in a lot of cases, some of the markings on your car will give you an estimation.
- You can simply find out the type of engine that is in your car by checking the VIN, which can be found in the owner’s manual or under the hood.
- The VIN can also be seen on the front of the driver’s side dashboard.
- Among the 17 digits in a VIN, the eight-character has a lot of information about your car’s engine.
- Decode it to know the kind of engine your car has.
If you already know about the specific model, year of production, and trim level of your car, you can identify what kind of engine your model has by going to the internet with that information.
Types of Car Engines
A car engine is categorized according to how cylinders in an engine are arranged:
- Straight engines’ cylinders are put together in one straight row parallel to the car.
- Inline engines are the most common form, it is mostly used for small family cars like hatchbacks. They also have engines that are ranged in a row in the engine bay that is just like the straight type but it’s on the right angles of the car.
- V engines’ cylinders are arranged at an angle opposite each other, forming a V shape when seen from the front.
- A flat engine design places cylinders horizontally in two lines facing outwards in other words that kind of engine type is more commonly used than other designs.
It has a lower centre of gravity, enabling more comfortable handling in sports cars.
What does the number of Cylinders in your engine mean?
The number of cylinders in internal combustion engines affects the power and speed of the car.
- Twin-cylinder engines are not frequently used because they have low power, except for some of their models.
- Three-cylinder is mainly for small cars, but they can also be used on a larger vehicle with something added to it, that is the turbocharger.
- Four-cylinder engines are the most commonly used and range from small to mid-size to slightly larger models.
- five-cylinder engines feature the compactness of the four-cylinders and the smoothness of six-cylinders.
While the six-and eight-cylinder engines are used for high-end performance models and supercars.
What you need to know about VIN
The VIN’s 17 characters contain some vital information including the country of manufacture, the manufacturer, car type brand, body style, engine size, and type, model, and model year. some websites decode the VIN for you. All you have to do is enter the 17 characters of your car’s VIN.